Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election Day

Even though we are disappointed with the results of the election, we did enjoy a fun election day.    Since Caleb is currently taking Government at NPC, he has had several (and I mean several) political discussions with his "government teacher" Dad.   Of course, the other kids pick up on all of that and begin to show an interest and want to know who you are going to vote for and why.  Even little Seth got into the spirit (well, maybe a little too much) when he wrote "No don't pic him" with a black permanent marker on our neighbor's Obama/Biden sign.  Thankfully, magic eraser did the trick and our neighbor never knew a thing.  

Anyway, I decided capitalize on their enthusiasm and make it a learning day...

Decorating election day cookies doesn't seem that educational unless you explain why the elephant and donkey cookie cutters are part of the day...which then leads to what Republican and Democrat mean.  Then throw in a little bit of explanation on the electoral college and suddenly you realize that decorating cookies can turn into a great teaching moment!

Here are some pictures of our day:




I found this fun ballot on this website.  We made our own voting booth for them to vote in.

Seth was so proud to have voted so I gave him my "I Voted" sticker
I also found this  map on the internet. They started it on Tuesday night and finished it Wednesday morning. 

Even though the election results were depressing, I hope we still instilled in our kids the importance of voting and what a privilege it is to live in a country where elections are peaceful and free from overt corruption.  Above all, I hope we reminded them (and ourselves) that:

This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seem oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
The battle is not done;
Jesus who dies shall be satisfied, 
And earth and heav'n be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment